Saturday, January 29, 2011

And The Journey Begins!!!

First and Foremost it takes a patient man to travel 29hrs. From dealing with loud talking babies, bitter stewardesses, no TVs and Nasty food a person can go INSANE. Glory be to God he kept me safe (as always) and I managed to remain calm through all of the nuisances.

I arrived in Cape Town on Friday January 26th, completely in awe by the landscape and the weather. The greenery here possibly is the most beautiful shade of green I've ever seen. And the with the combination of the ocean and the mountains I don't know which is more breathtaking, viewing the mountain from the ocean or the ocean from the mountain. On another note, because Cape town is a city it holds one thing in common with all cities: The Ghetto. But i would consider these ghettos to be more of slums simply because of all the run down shacks they contain in such a small area. The area also smell of strong sewage. But somehow through all of this various people in these slums still managed to own BMW's and BENZ's. I guess when it comes down to it all Ghetto's are the SAME.

Moving forward, upon my arrival Orientation Leaders took me and a couple others to our temporary housing on the UCT campus. I must admit I didn't like the temp housing one bit. No Internet and no international calling made for a rough realization that I was stupid far from my home. But I refused to let this feeling overwhelm me so I eagerly involved myself in all of the planned activities in order to mingle and help myself get adjusted. The whole first day we toured the campus which is absolutely stunning, visited the mall which definitely has some American malls beat and hung out on Long Street (I call it the Cape Town Bourbon).

The people have also been great. We have a ton of students from Germany, Norway, and of the course THE USA!!!  Everyone seems to be getting along great and all of them pretty much have the same Open-minded mindset. There is one thing I have noticed though is which is actually a good thing for the sake of peace, No One ever brings up Politics or Religion. Oops and don't let me forget the students here at Cape Town. So far they have been great. Easy to talk to, they're helpful, and surprisingly mostly from Zimbabwe lol. Its funny cause I can relate some of the characteristics of these people to my friends back home. Which is pretty settling.

All in All, So much has occurred in the past 72hrs I tried to give everyone a little bit of insight to the life here. If anyone has any specific questions I'll be glad to answer them! This is post 2 and I plan to have many more.

P.S. I'm going to see penguins tomorrow lol

2 comments:

  1. So is wireless internet and international calling nonexistent there for you the entire semester?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No its available to me now...It just wasnt available the first couples days

    ReplyDelete